Section: 6-Administration

Policy No: 4

Approved: 1/10/97
Revised: 1/24/03




4.1.1 To outline a comprehensive travel policy with related procedures for Dixie State College employees and students, and others authorized to travel for the College.

4.1.2 This policy applies to travel by all authorized persons where the costs of the travel are charged against funds in the custody of Dixie State College, including general funds, grants and contracts, gifts and endowments, student funds, and auxiliary funds.

4.1.3 It is the intent of this policy that the college should pay the reasonable and necessary costs incurred by the traveler while traveling on college business. The college will not pay more than the costs incurred or per diem allowed, and will not pay for costs reimbursed from any other source. Costs associated with travel which are of a personal nature, i.e., entertainment, personal telephone calls other than one safe arrival and departure call from each destination, alcoholic beverages, snacks, movies, and travel expenses of family members, may not be paid by the college. Personal costs are to be paid by the individual using personal resources, and will not be run through the college accounting system.

4.1.4 ECONOMICAL RATES. College travel shall be arranged at the most economical rates possible. Budget Administrators are responsible for travel review.


4.2.1 The term "authorized person" refers to an employee, student, or other person who has been specifically authorized by Dixie State College to travel in behalf of the College. This would not include any others such as spouse or children of this "authorized person".

4.2.2 The term "group travel" refers to an authorized person taking student groups on an authorized trip (i.e., athletic teams, student academic groups, student government groups, student clubs and other student organizations).


4.3.1 Any authorized person may travel on official college business at college expense providing the budget is approved and the travel has been authorized.

4.3.2 Travel Authorization Forms (Form TA-1) must be completed for all travelers. These forms are available from the Purchasing Office and should be submitted at least three working days prior to the first day of travel. Each traveler should submit a separate Travel Authorization Form. Group travel will be covered under one Travel Authorization Form and the organizer of the group should complete and submit this form. Travel authorization forms for students and employees must have budget administrator and employee supervisor approval. The traveler's signature is required when an advance is requested. For persons who are not employees, only the signature of the budget administrator and the budget administrator's supervisor are required.

4.3.3 For travel authorization of prospective employees, see Policy 3-27, Faculty Hiring Policy and 4-5, Hiring Policy.


4.4.1 CASH ADVANCE. A cash advance, not to exceed the amount of the travel expense, may be provided for group travel only (i.e., a student group or athletic team, etc.). The request is made at the same time the travel authorization request is filed with the Purchasing office. The advance is a short-term loan. Any unused portion of this loan is due within thirty (30) days from the time the trip is completed. Delinquent loans may be garnished from the employee's wages if not settled within a sixty (60) day period.

4.4.2 TRAVEL PREPAYMENTS. Travel prepayments are any expenses to be paid before the traveler departs (i.e., conference fees, motel expenses or airline tickets. Applicable forms must accompany prepayment requests.

4.4.3 TRAVEL CREDIT CARDS. Employees who frequently travel on Dixie State College business may apply for a travel credit card through the Purchasing Department. Employees will be personally responsible to make payment to the credit card company and will be reimbursed after filing the travel claim with appropriate receipts. Travel credit cards are personal liability cards. Unpaid balances on travel credit cards do not appear on an employee's credit report.


4.5.1 A Travel Claim Form (Form TC-1) must be submitted for each Travel Authorization within thirty (30) days following the return date of the trip.

4.5.2 Travelers will be notified of delinquent claims.

4.5.3 Claims requiring reimbursement which are not filed within sixty (60) days following the return date of the trip shall be denied.

4.5.4 Travel claim forms requesting reimbursement of travel costs which exceed the estimated amount on the REQUEST FOR TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION by more than 10 percent (10%), will require signature approval from the Budget Administrator.

4.5.5 RECEIPTS. Receipts are required for all trip expenses except gratuities (refer to section 4.5.6). If a meal per diem is requested, meal receipts are not required.

4.5.6 GRATUITY. The college will allow a maximum gratuity of 20% of the charges for meals when receipts are being used that day and taxi service. Reimbursement for maid service, shuttle bus drivers, bellhops, and sky caps will not exceed $5.00 per occurrence.


4.6.1 The college will provide a meal allowance for all college travel. This allowance is not normally taxable income to the employee. Within the limits described in section 4.6.2 below, the cost of meals for trips fifty (50) miles or more from the college which do not require an overnight stay may be claimed by an employee. However, the reimbursement will be treated as taxable income to the employee and may be included in the employee's W-2 form.

4.6.2 The allowance for meals is an established daily amount. The traveler has the option of claiming a Standard Daily Allowance each day or being reimbursed for the actual cost of meals each day and is not to exceed a maximum daily allowance as set by the Administration (College Council). (See Appendix A). Standard Daily Meal Allowance. The standard daily allowance should be adjusted for meals not eaten as part of the trip (i.e., when the traveler is traveling for only a portion of the day). The college will reimburse the recipient for meals away from home without regard to meals provided by airlines or conferences. This will allow the traveler flexibility in managing his/her daily meal allowance, and may enable him/her to claim the standard allowance even when some meals may substantially exceed the allowance for that meal. Actual Cost. The college will reimburse the traveler daily for the actual cost of meals, but not in excess of the maximum daily allowance (see Appendix A). When actual meal costs are claimed they must be claimed on all meals for that day, and the traveler must submit a copy of the meal tickets which list the date, the meal, its cost, and any other charges. Meal ticket stubs, or written statements by the traveler, will not be accepted unless specifically approved by the appropriate Vice President.


4.7.1 The college will reimburse the traveler for the reasonable cost of lodging. A detailed copy of the room folio (an itemized listing of all charges) must be submitted to receive reimbursement. Lodging costs for employees and students for a destination within 50 miles of St. George must be approved by the appropriate Vice President.

4.7.2 Employee Lodging With Relatives An amount of $20.00 per day will be allowed for reimbursement on Dixie State College travel claims for lodging with relatives. A signed statement by the employee stating that the claimed amount was actually paid to the relative must accompany the travel claim.


4.8.1 College employees are encouraged to use the most economical vehicles available for traveling on College business.

4.8.2 Car pooling is encouraged.

4.8.3 TRAFFIC LAW. All traffic laws shall be strictly observed.

4.8.4 CITATIONS. Any driver of state fleet or rental vehicles involved in either a standing or moving violation will be responsible for all expenses associated with the violation, unless the violation is a result of the mechanical condition of the vehicle. In the event the college incurs any costs in connection with an employee or student citation, it will be the responsibility of that person to reimburse the college for all costs incurred.

4.8.5 ACCIDENTS. Accidents involving state fleet or rental vehicles must be reported immediately to local authorities for investigation and again to the Purchasing/Risk Management Office and Campus Services Department upon return.

4.8.6 CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS. The consumption of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs in a state fleet vehicle, and the operation of a state fleet vehicle after the consumption of alcoholic beverages or the use of illegal drugs as defined by State law are strictly prohibited. The violation of this policy by faculty or staff members will result in immediate disciplinary action which could include termination of employment (Reference Dixie State College Drug and Alcohol policies, 3-33, 4-32, and 5-37). Disciplinary action for students will be referred to the Vice President of Student Services' Office.

4.8.7 INSURANCE. Dixie State College provides coverage for all vehicles owned, leased, or rented by the College which are being used in college business. Coverage for personal vehicles used for college purposes is required and is the responsibility of the owner.

4.8.8 State Fleet Vehicles Vehicles are not be used for commuting between the campus and an individual's residence. Vehicle users must not transfer keys to another user. Reservations will be held only one hour past the scheduled time of departure. A department that uses state fleet vehicles is responsible for damage caused as a result of negligence or unauthorized use, damage caused by unnecessary abuse of the vehicle, and the replacement of missing equipment or tools. Reports of state fleet vehicle abuse shall be referred to the Executive Director of Campus Services. The Executive Director will make a preliminary appraisal of the problem. Where findings substantiate abuse, such findings will be reported to the appropriate Vice President, Dean, or Division Director. The College may refuse to authorize use of state fleet vehicles to drivers who willfully violate the college travel policy or abuse state fleet vehicles. AUTHORIZED DRIVERS State fleet vehicles are to be driven only by authorized college employees, students, and guests of the College on official college business. All state fleet vehicles, whether temporarily checked out or permanently assigned to a department or individual, shall be used strictly for official business. The Utah State Department of Transportation regulates the drivers license requirements for state fleet vehicles. All authorized drivers must have a valid Utah drivers license appropriate for the class of vehicle driven and have completed the State Risk Management Defensive Driving Program. Proof of appropriate and valid license must be on file at the Campus Services Department prior to a personís driving any state fleet vehicle. A Trip Ticket (Form TT-1) will be furnished to the driver of the state fleet vehicle along with the keys at the Campus Services department. The card should be completed and returned with the keys upon the completion of the trip. Vehicle performance or problems should be indicated on the Trip Ticket. When a vehicle is used, the driver of the vehicle is responsible for recording beginning and ending mileage on the Trip Ticket. Drivers who fail to record the mileage may be charged for all miles up to the next recorded trip taken. Charges for state fleet vehicle use will be made on a per mile basis. Rates for each type of available vehicle are set by College Council. (See Appendix A.) Fifteen Passenger Vans. Fifteen passenger vans may not carry more than nine occupants including the driver for travel outside Wahington County. There must be more than one authorized driver for trips over six hours in duration. No driver should drive for more than six hours without having another authorized driver drive for at least two hours. Seat belts must be worn at all times by all occupants. Fifteen passenger vans are not to be driven between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. If adverse conditions or stormy weather is anticipated, fifteen passenger vans should not be used. Drivers of fifteen passenger vans must be at least 21 years of age and have no moving violations within the past 12 months. Approved drivers must have completed a College-approved training class prior to driving these vans with other passengers aboard.

4.8.9 RENTAL VEHICLES The college will pay reasonable and necessary costs of a rental vehicle when such a vehicle is authorized in advance. Authorization is deemed to be given when a REQUEST FOR TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION has been completed and approved. The State of Utah negotiates automobile rental agreements that normally provide insurance coverage. Travelers are encouraged to contact the Purchasing Office regarding reservation procedures involved to take advantage of these prices and the insurance provided by the contracts. If state contracts are not used when renting vehicle, (i.e., when the state contract agencies are not operational in the city where a vehicle needs to be rented or other non-contracted agencies are used) employees should purchase insurance. The cost of the insurance will be reimbursed. (The College has a $10,000 deductible if this insurance is not purchased.)

4.8.10 BUS TRAVEL College buses are available for any campus group through the Vice President of Student Services Office. Buses are to be used primarily on paved roads. Trips on other types of roads are allowed only when the round trip on such roads is ten miles or less. College trips using buses will be charged for the mileage driven, plus driver meals, driver lodging, and miscellaneous expenses such as tolls and parking fees. Bus subsidies for mileage driven will be allowed only for groups approved by the administration. Generally, these groups are college classes and departments. See Business Services office for a listing of the subsidized mileage rates.


4.9.1 The College will pay the coach rate for authorized travel.

4.9.2 Reservations are to be made on a timely basis to take advantage of the best fares. Where possible, air fare reservations should be obtained at least fourteen (14) days in advance in order to obtain the most economical rate.

4.9.3 The use of a travel agency of the College's choice is recommended, and the college will pay the travel agency directly. Alternately, the traveler may purchase the tickets and be reimbursed. Travel agencies operating under State contracts usually offer the best value, and the Purchasing Department should be contacted for State contract provisions.

4.9.4 Flight reservations for air travel between Salt Lake City and St. George should be made through the purchasing office.

4.10 EXCEPTIONS. Exceptions to this policy must be approved in writing by the President of the college or appropriate Vice President.


Mileage Rates

Mileage rates are posted on the Purchasing Department's website at the following address http://www.dixie.edu/purchasing/travel_information.php

Meal Allowance

The standard daily allowance (per diem) for meals is $36.00 when traveling in Utah. This represents $9 for breakfast, $11 for lunch, and $16 for dinner. Receipts are not required.

The standard daily allowance (per diem) for meals is $45.00 when traveling outside Utah. This represents $10 for breakfast, $14 for lunch, and $21 for dinner. Receipts are not required.

The maximum daily allowance for meals is $50. Requests for reimbursement exceeding the standard per diem rates require itemized receipts.