DIXIE COLLEGE

POLICIES AND PROCEDURES MANUAL


Section: 1-Introduction

Section No: 1-1

Approved: 11/1996

HISTORY, GENERAL

History, General

When the Civil War threatened a shortage of cotton goods in the west, Brigham Young, the "Mormon Colonizer," sent 300 families to southwestern Utah to raise cotton and build a factory for manufacturing cloth. This colonization, which began in 1861, is an historic epic in hardship and struggle. The combination of semi-tropical climate and cotton raising caused early settlers to refer to the area as Utah's Dixie - hence the name Dixie College. When the school began operation in 1911, it was a four year high school, officially called the St. George Stake Academy, but it was soon nicknamed "Dixie Academy." In 1916 it added a junior college program. In 1923 it became Dixie Junior College, and in 1970, Dixie College. Thus, in one form or another, the name has endured.

Originally operated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the College was turned over to state control in 1933. In 1963 Dixie College moved to a new campus and, on this 92 acre site the college has grown rapidly. The Obert C. Tanner Amphitheater at the mouth of Zion National Park increases the total campus area to 203 acres. Dixie College continues to acquire additional land for new physical facilities to enhance its academic and community programs.

Dixie College is a state supported, community college under the direction of the Utah Sate Board of Regents. The College is accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges and is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges.